We believe childhood is a time to be valued, celebrated and enjoyed. It is when the foundations are laid for future community partnerships, healthy wellbeing and a positive learning journey for children.
Being a child
At Denzil Don Kindergarten, we understand children come to kindergarten with a unique sense of identity and individual needs. We acknowledge that family, culture, tradition and community, play a vital role in shaping children.
- We support children to feel a sense of belonging and connection to the world
- We support children to feel a sense of belonging and connection to the world; to know that their voice is important and will shape decision making at our kindergarten
- We weave the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child into the curriculum
- We see children as competent, capable and active participants in their learning
- We provide uninterrupted periods of time, space and materials to foster learning through play
- We provide the children with space and time to develop strong friendships with their peers
- We recognise the importance of connection to the natural world in the development of children’s physical and mental wellbeing.
We create a nurturing and supportive environment where children can explore, play and express emotions with freedom.
- We embed the Victorian Early Years Learning Development Framework (VEYLDF) and the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) within our program, understanding children’s wellbeing is a prerequisite for lifelong learning
- We offer choices in the learning environment
- We provide time for conversation, repetition of experiences and unrushed transition
- We listen
- We foster resilience, self-worth, secure attachments and warm, trusting relationships.
We value two-way communication to develop authentic connections with families. We understand that collaborative partnerships benefit the wellbeing and development of children, and have a positive influence on their learning journey.
- We value information about children’s strengths, abilities, interests and developmental needs
- We involve families and children in decision-making
- We ensure families feel comfortable communicating with staff
- We invite families to join kindergarten events, fostering a sense of belonging to the Denzil Don Kindergarten community.
Community of Learners
We learn from one another every day. We respect the voices of all, and relinquish power so everyone has opportunities to facilitate decision making.
- We ensure children feel safe, secure, respected and able to learn about relationships through wellbeing programs
- We engage with our wider community
- We create a feeling of belonging and membership, by holding community and celebratory events outside of kindergarten sessions
- We incorporate local resources into our curriculum
- We believe everyone has the right to participate in professional learning.
Acknowledge and share in diversity and equity
We acknowledge and respect the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation as the traditional custodians of the land on which we learn and play. We actively connect with our community to create a learning environment of cultural awareness.
- We ensure children have access to resources and opportunities to explore and investigate their learning
- We promote cultural awareness and a rich understanding of cultural practices
- We foster conversations with children to embed equality and diversity.
We work collaboratively to improve the quality of the children’s care, learning experiences and development.
- We respect one another
- We respect and value the team charter we developed together, as a group
- We utilise current learning and development research to expand our knowledge
- We collaborate, share knowledge, experience and expertise.